I thought all of this was copyright free! Why the need for legal information?
The purpose of Mathipedia is to provide resources, ideas, lessons, and materials to teachers, parents and students free of charge.
We want you to take these ideas and materials and use them.... a lot! You can reproduce them, send them to everyone you know, post them on your own webpage, and pretty much do whatever you want with them. That is really the point of making this site.
However, the problem with making a bunch of free material is that someone can compile all of it under a different name and try to sell it to poor unsuspecting students and teachers that don't know that its available for free. As a result, the purpose of having a license attached to this material is two-fold:
1. When this material is recreated, redistributed, or mass produced, the recipients need to know where it came from so they can access the original resources again on their own and credit can be given to those that put in all the hard work to create it in the first place.
2. There are a lot of really fantastic math materials and resources out there but unfortunately, not all of it is free. This is one of the fundamental purposes behind why Mathipedia was created: to compile all that great information into one place and provide it all for free! Therefore, if you are going to reproduce this material, you have to do it under the same guiding principles from which it was created. You can have it for personal use all you want but you can never redistribute it in return for services of any kind (monetary or otherwise). It has to stay free....always.
So here are the general guidelines:
- If this material is being used between parents, teachers, and students for the purpose of learning in your class then you can edit,
reproduce and distribute it as much as you want.
- If this material is being distributed outside of the classroom environment or published in any public forum then it must be cited as
coming from www.mathipedia.com and all copyrights must be the same as this original Creative Commons License.
- The material on this site or any edited or reproduced version of it may never, under any circumstances be distributed for commercial
purposes. Never. Ever.
A summary of the Creative Commons License for this site is below. If you want to read all the specific legal jargon, you can do that here.